Category: Financial Remedy

Occupation orders: an overview

Part IV of the Family Law Act 1996 enables a court to make an occupation order, broadly, where a person is suffering or is likely to suffer harm or domestic violence.

Financial relief in England and Wales after an overseas divorce

Where two people have separated and obtained a divorce in an overseas country, they cannot apply immediately for a financial remedy in England and Wales. Instead, they must first seek the leave of the Court under Part III of the Matrimonial and Family Proceedings Act 1984 (“the 1984 Act”). Such applications entail a two-part procedure, as set out below.