Sponsoring Adult Dependent Relatives

Our Immigration Barristers are often approached by clients wanting to make a UK visa application for overseas relatives who require long term personal care because of age, illness, or disability. Typically, but not necessarily, the relative will be an elderly parent or grandparent. Clients in such situations are often desperate to bring the relative to the UK because they believe that the relative is no longer able to look after themselves properly. These kinds of immigration applications are known as Adult Dependent Relative applications. 

In such circumstances the relative is technically the immigration applicant, but the preparatory work must be done by the UK sponsor. The sponsor must show that several requirements are met. The main requirements are that:

  1. the relative making the immigration application must as a result of age, illness or disability require long-term personal care to perform everyday tasks; and
  2. the relative making the immigration application must be unable, even with the practical and financial help of the sponsor, to obtain the required level of care in the country where they are living, because: (i) it is not available and there is no person in that country who can reasonably provide it; or (ii) it is not affordable.

The key to succeeding in such applications is to obtain specific evidence of medical conditions, country conditions and finances. Care must be taken to ensure that the evidence contains the information that Home Office officials typically look for when deciding such application, otherwise applications can and often are refused. If you are not clear about the process, then you will be better off using a UK Immigration Lawyer. 

Our Immigration Barristers are experts in UK immigration law. They can help clients with all aspects of the adult-dependent relatives by: providing UK immigration advice, submitting and managing UK visa applications to the Home Office and, where applications are rejected, submitting immigration appeals to the UK Immigration Tribunal. 


Contact Demstone Chambers for help